About Me

My photo
I have been married to my childhood sweetheart for 42 wonderful years. I have been blessed with one daughter who is grown and gone! She and her hubby have blessed us with a precious grandchild, Darbee Rae. She is eight years old and the sunshine in our days. I have always been a stay at home maid, cook, doctor, babysitter, taxi, wife, mother, and grandmother. I enjoy crafting. My interests include primitives, vintage and colonial styles. I love decorating my home. I enjoy traveling with my hubby and friends, reading, and trying different recipes. I am a Christian and enjoy activities within my church. I hope you enjoy reading about my daily adventures in crafting, shopping, and enjoying life thru the eyes of my darling grand daughter.

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Max's Retirement Celebration

This afternoon was a special one for myself and for Darbee Rae.  I had ask her Mommy on Thursday evening if she could come home with me from church services today and spend the evening. Although I see my girls almost daily, it is a rare ocassion when Darbee Rae and I spend time alone.  She goes to daycare during the week and weekends are usually busy for them and for us.  So.... needless to say we were both excited.  Sundays are really depressing , since that was the day I have spent with Mother at the nursing home regularly for almost 5 years. But today ,, time flew by and memories were made. 

Let me introduce you to Max.  Max is one of the very few ornaments that I have from my childhood.  How he has survived all these years is sheer magic.  Yep, you know elves are anyway.  Poor thing has hung on a number of different trees as I was growing up.  My earliest memory was a "ugly see thru" cedar tree I went out in the woods with my Daddy to cut for us.  Max hung on that tree with that smile just as if it was the most beautiful tree in the whole world.  We had those kind of trees for years and it became a treat for Daddy and me to go to the woods and cut a tree.  Then one year Mother decided we had to have one of those shiney aluminum trees with the color wheel.  I hated that thing but Max made himself right at home on those branches.  Poor thing, I bet he had wished for sunglasses as that wheel kept turning and changing colors.  Then came the year we got an artificial tree. Finally  a pretty tree, but there was no Christmas smell to it, but again Max and I were happy,.

When I married , Max came along to our home and has held viligance over all our trees each Christmas season for 38 years . However last year, he came alive again during the holidays.  He would always know when Darbee Rae was coming to visit and he would hide in some of the funniest places and have her a little gift leading up to Christmas Day.  Max has been at it for over 50 years and I was so worried that he might get hurt, have to be stitched up ,or have a broken bone.

When we talked to Santa at his workshop week before last , our request was for Santa to send a younger elf to take Max's place at Nana's house.  Today we got our wish and Max has retired.  This is where he will be during the holiday.


Was this okay with Darbee Rae you might ask?  She was fine with Max watching from the mantle.  She gave him a kiss and ask if she could hold him some during Christmas.  The transition was an easy one because when we got in from service today, this is what we found



Can you tell she was excited?  At this point she had no idea what was inside.  She just knew it was from Santa.


We wasted no time tearing into the package to see just what Santa had sent. There was a huge lollipop, a long letter and......
.

WILBUR!!  Santa kept his promise and sent Wilbur, a much younger elf to take over Max's job during the holidays.  Darbee Rae took to him immediately. It will be so much fun to see him come to life while we sleep each night and see what mischief he will get into.  Elmer is the elf at her house and he gets into all kind of trouble.  She was so excited, so we decided to bring out the Easy Bake oven Aunt Maudie and Uncle Leonard gave her for her birthday and bake a cake in honor of Max retirement.



Working so hard mixing up the cake.  Look at the tiny pan.  Brought back so many memories.  Did you have an Easy Bake Oven




Guess all that baking was well worth the trouble.  Yummm, chocolate icing.  A girl can't go wrong with chocolate  Max, sure hope you appreciate us baking a cake just for you.


Out of the kitchen and down to some serious playing.  Legos!  Who knows you might be looking at a famous engineer in the making,  Before we knew it the afternoon was gone and it was time to say goodbye for the evening. 

Darbee Rae I hope you had as much fun as I did.  We must have another Darbee/Nana day again soon.

I will be back soon to share with you a wonderful package I recieved in the mail  and the wonderful day I had on Saturday.

This holiday week is coming to a close.  Hoping you all made some wonderfukl memories with your family and friends.  Mr. P has to go back to work tomorrow after being on holiday all week, and I must say I am going to miss him,,,,, and eating our meals out.  Back to the regular routine of everyday life.  But,, I am ready and thankful for the memories of this past week.

Until next time

11 comments:

  1. Such fun! I have one ornament in particular that I always loved when I was a child. It has remained with me all these years. It is one of those old blown glass ornaments which my grandma brought over with her "from the old country" when she & grandpa moved here. There were apparently many such ornaments but this was the only one to survive. I also have a few of my other grandma's large painted blown glass ornaments which she brought with her when she & grandpa came here from Poland. Such treasures : ) They haven't seen the light of day for a few years now. Maybe next year I can get them out : ) I had some sort of oven when I was little but I'm not sure if it was an Easy Bake. I enjoyed it though : ) I think it's wonderful that Darbee Rae gets to enjoy one : ) Blessings, Shirlee

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the bestest Grandma, ever! I want to come to your house..! What a fun and exciting day you had with your precious Darbee Ray!! I loved my Easy Bake Oven! Enjoy your holiday time with your family:) K

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous! :) Looks like so much fun! So glad Wilbur made it to your house safely! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness! I am so glad Max retired to the make do chair! How much fun did you all have! Andrew is coming Wednesday to bake Christmas cookies. I'll post pictures. When my children were home we had a Christmas elf and he moved all over the house. One year he moved and neither Curtis nor I had moved him! We got such a laugh out of that. We always used him though. He was the elf from a Russell Stover box of candy. Thanks for the good read, and give that precious little girl a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet, sweet, post....Happiest of retirements Max...you served so very lovingly and well...And welcome Wilbur...You got some very big (yet, I'm sure itsy bitsy, pointy shoes to fill...) A very wonderful tradition - there is some relation of of Max's and Wilbur's that visit my niece's house as well - his name is Kirby. Wonder if they know each other? Oh - the look on Darbee's face with that box is precious and priceless. Thanks for the "good night" story dear Angela...Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela, You had a special afternoon there with Darbee. The elf story was cute. I had one of those elves, only littler, but he was really looking ragged and I pitched him a number of years ago!!!!! Never had an Easy Bake Oven.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a wonderful way of sharing a tale! I love the look on her face with that package. Hope you have a fabulous week, and you eat out a least once or twice! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful story. Darbee will always remember Wilbur's arrival. You are a great Nana.
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a PERFECT DAY!
    We too have a BUDDY elf. Brings wonderful treasured memories with our Granny's. SO glad you had a wonderful day making new treasured memories with your LITTLE SUNSHINE!
    Blessings
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh the elf memories! Were could he be hiding to report back to santa? I still have a vintage one out on the shelf every year.The easy bake oven must be were my love of baking started.Such wonderful memories!Warm Blessings!~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have cried like a baby reading this post. It took me back to Christmas with my Big Mama (what I called my Grandmother). It is my first time to see your blog. What a sweet post.

    Thank you...

    Lynn in Alabama (who is 50 years old and still remembers the magic only a Grandmother can make. I firmly believe that no one loves us as much as our grandmother.)

    ReplyDelete