About Me

My photo
I have been married to my childhood sweetheart for 42 wonderful years. I have been blessed with one daughter who is grown and gone! She and her hubby have blessed us with a precious grandchild, Darbee Rae. She is eight years old and the sunshine in our days. I have always been a stay at home maid, cook, doctor, babysitter, taxi, wife, mother, and grandmother. I enjoy crafting. My interests include primitives, vintage and colonial styles. I love decorating my home. I enjoy traveling with my hubby and friends, reading, and trying different recipes. I am a Christian and enjoy activities within my church. I hope you enjoy reading about my daily adventures in crafting, shopping, and enjoying life thru the eyes of my darling grand daughter.

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Am An Only Child,,,,,But I Have A Sister.... Day 6 Whole Lotta Love

Oh my, It has been a warm beautiful Spring like day here in Ga.  I know there is a big snow storm forming and heading some of your way, and I would love to be there, but I have to admit I did enjoy today. 

Got out as early as these old bones would let me and had breakfast with Holly at our favorite place, Cracker Barrel.  Ran a few errands, picked up Darbee Rae from Pre K and headed back to Holly's.  Sat outside and watched Darbee Rae ride her jeep, and bicycle.  Yes, it made me want to see Spring even sooner.  But I am sure a little later on we will pay for this beautiful warm day.

Today I have a little story to tell.  Yes, as with my title I am an only child as my Mother was before me. However I have always felt I had a sister.  So let me explain.  My Mother had a cousin whose Mother died giving birth to her.  My Grandmother helped to raise Glois{mother's cousin} They too seemed like sisters.  When Glois married God blessed her and her husband with a baby girl.  Her name was Kathy.  Mother and Daddy at the time did not have children.  They had tried for years and no doctor could find a medical reason why they could not get pregnant.  So,,, they loved Glois' daughter Kathy , and her Mom was so sweet to share her with my parents. 

Glois contacted a rare nerve disease and passed away at the age of 33 and Kathy was 6 years old. On her dying bed she gave Kathy to Mother and Daddy to take care of.  Kathy's Dad was in the service and was not a good daddy or husband.   She knew Mother and Daddy would take care of her and give her a good home.  This was in January.  And then the following October,,,,,, Yep, here I came.  Can you believe my parents were married  17 years and never had a baby.  Once they took Kathy then yes, here I came. 

So,,, although Kathy was not blood,,,, she was with my parents before I came along.  They never adopted her, but she lived with us all her life until she was married.  She has always been  like a sister to me.  I loved her as child and I love her today. Let me introduce you to Kathy


Kathy called my parents Dorothy, and Bud.  She has stood by my side and done for my Daddy when he was ill and for my Mother just like a daughter would. We joined together in the death of both my parents. I am truly blessed to have her for a "sister"

It is Kathy's house we meet at for our family get togethers.  She loves to cook,,,, we love to eat so you will find everyone there lots of Sunday nights after church sitting around the table for a good home cooked meal.  Her door is always open to family and friends.  Her motto is " the more the merrier"

Kathy's life has been a hard one.  She worked, took care of a sick husband who lost the battle to cancer early and left her with 2 small boys to raise.  She didn't slow down, and dealt with the life ahead of her.  My hero.

Today she is no longer able to work.  She has a disease that has left her legally blind.  She can no long drive and limited to what she can do.  To meet her on the street you would never know.  She is a trooper.As with a big sister, she is someone I look up to.  I call just to say hello and when I want to gossip, fuss, or if I am having a bad day.  She is always there for me. And me for her.  I love her kids and grandson and she mine.  She is a second Mother to  Holly and another grandmother to Darbee Rae.  I am so thankful that God sent her to Mother and  Daddy.  Although you can't see to read this, I love you Kathy, always have and always will.  Yes there is a whole lotta love in my heart for this dear  "Sister"

If you are blessed to have a sister or brother, don't put off telling them that you love them and  are proud to call them  your family.

Until next time.



11 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story Angela. We need the good ole days again when folks took care of each other...they just did it because it was the right thing to do. What a wonderful blessing to have a sister like Kathy. Your family did have a whole lotta love....I come from a large family of 8 brothers and two sisters.. There was 11 of us kids..My Dad died at 42.. He was a coal miner his whole life..My mother raised us on her own.. She never remarried. She always teased us, saying who would want a women with 11 kids.. she has since gone on to be with the Lord... We should all really enjoy our families regardless of size or how they came to us. thanks for sharing..Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 17 years it took??? WOW!
    Loved your story Angela.
    hugs
    earlene

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post. She is a dear person to me and my family too. She holds a special place in all our hearts. I am so glad Darbee Rae has her in her life and has "another grandmother." Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a great story! You are very blessed to have each other. Thanks for sharing:)
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. EVENING ANGELA, HEARTWARMING STORY, YOU ARE BOTH BLESSED TO HAVE EACHOTHER, FRANCINE.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post Angela. I'm trying to play catch up and I love your lighting from your last post too! Yes we are due for more snow tomorrow. 3 to 7 inches and where my mom lives 10+ inches. Janice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this just about made me cry! How special and sweet and how blessed you both are!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Something similar happend in our family back in the late 40's. It is a treasure to hold in your heart forever. My "Auntie" ( even though she was my mother's cousin )is over 85 and the best aunt anyone could ever had. She has always been interested in all of us kids and has really cared.....and my mother did the same with her children. "Auntie's" children were my 'cousins' and we were a true, true family. So, I can relate to your post, Angela. It is a wonderful heartfelt message.

    Blessings,
    Susannah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela,
    what a sweet story! Your family was blessed to have each other. Having a sister, no matter how, is the best thing ever!
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete